Audio brand RØDE Microphones has made available its new flagship on-camera microphone, the Rode VideoMic Pro+. We first heard about the new microphone at the start of the year, but six months later it is now available for purchase.
RØDE has improved the existing VideoMic Pro by adding several new features, not least of which is the new battery door and different power options – finally!
Let’s take a look at the key new features of the VideoMic Pro+.
Rode VideoMic Pro+: New features
• Automatic Power Function that automatically turns the microphone off when it is unplugged from the camera
• Built-in Battery Door makes replacing the battery far less cumbersome than previous VideoMic models, plus the door won’t get lost
• Multiple Power options, including the new (and included) RØDE LB-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, 2 x AA Batteries or continuously via Micro USB
• Improved capsule/ line tube and windshield
• Digital Switching ensures the best capture of the audio signal at the source, including: 3-Stage High Pass Filter, 3-Stage Gain Control, High Frequency Boost and finally Safety Channel to avoid clipping
We will share our experience of the new VideoMic Pro+, but can say now that the power options and new battery door are what existing Rode VideoMic Pro users have been crying out for.
No more cursing at the poorly designed battery door. No more 9v batteries. In fact, there is the option of no batteries at all.
Instead, the microphone can be powered via the micro USB port of the camera it is attached to! It will power up when connected and switch off when disconnected, through the new interchangeable microphone cable port. Impressive.
TheVideoMic Pro+ looks set to be the number one choice of on -camera microphones. Stay tuned for hands on experience.
Pricing and information
The VideoMic Pro+ comes supplied with a 3.5mm TRS Cable, LB-1 Lithioum-Ion Rechargeable Battery and includes RØDE’s 10-year warranty.
UK pricing for the RØDE VideoMic Pro+ is £289.00 RRP (Inc VAT) and the product is available now.
For more details about the RØDE VideoMic Pro+, please visit the product page on the Rode website